Today students will be creating a Personal Timeline and Family Tree with DRAW.IO. Students will outline major events in their lives and a complete list of family members. They will organize their items in chronological order, create hand-drawn organizers, create digital versions of their work, and upload the final creations to the DROPBOX Link listed below for credit!
STUDENTS WILL ENTER THE CLASS QUIETLY AND BEGIN WORKING!
Students will work individually on the assigned projects. Students must complete a hand-drawn version of the project prior to starting on their computer.
Today we will begin the Graphic Organizer Timeline and Family Tree Project!
Standards Covered In This Class
PA 3.7.7 & 11 Section C / ISTE 2011
CSTA Tied With Common Core ELA/Math rev. 2014
ALTERNATE PROGRAMS ONLINE: https://cacoo.com/ or https://bubbl.us/mindmap
FAMILY TREE AND PERSONAL TIMELINEToday you will design graphic organizers on DRAW.IO. Please create a Personal Timeline and Family Tree in a digital format. You must create these from scratch using DRAW.IO.
YOU MUST CREATE A HAND-DRAWN VERSION BEFORE WORKING ON A DIGITAL VERSION ONLINE!
To start, use a blank piece of paper to list your birthday, list all the schools you have attended, list any significant events in your life (birthdays, deaths, weddings, graduations, holidays, family trips, honors, awards, or any other events you can remember) and the dates they happened. Open DRAW.IO and open a New Blank Document. Begin to drag boxes into the timeline and label them in order. Once you have created your first box with a date underneath, you can now select the box, copy and paste a new one next to it, and link them with an arrow. Continue until you have listed all the events up to today's date. You need to list 15 events to complete the project.
For the Family Tree, make a complete list of all of your parents, step-parents, aunts and uncles, brothers and sisters, grandparents, and any other family members you can think of. Now begin dragging in boxes and labeling them with each person's name and date of birth (if you know it). Now list weddings in text between married couples. Make sure to line up each place-marker with others in the same generation. Make sure you include extended family (Aunts, Uncles, Brothers, Sisters, Etc.) I would like you to do your best to include at least 3 levels of your family tree. These should include siblings, parents, aunts & uncles, grandparents, and anyone else you might know. Once you have your Timeline and Family Tree on one document, Go To FILE and EXPORT and save it to the desktop as an IMAGE (PNG) File. Upload the PNG File to DROPBOX Link below for credit.
See the sample above for some more clarity. Good Luck!
- Mr. S
Steps to complete Timeline/Family Tree Project:
1. HAND-DRAW A VERSION FIRST!
2. Open DRAW.IO on your computer and Click DIAGRAM Button to create a blank Diagram
3. Drag enough blocks into the workspace to allow for one block for each person in your IMMEDIATE Family.
4: Label Each Block with Person's Title (Dad, Mom, etc.) and First Name
5. Connect each block with who is related to who.
6. For the Timeline, you must drag in at least 15 blocks.
7. Label each block with event from your life.
8. Make a connection, in the order that the events occurred in your life, from one event to the next.
9. If you have not completed your work before class ends, SAVE your DRAW.IO File to Desktop and email it to yourself so no one can delete it.
10. Once complete, EXPORT your file as a Graphic Image (PNG) and Upload the Picture to the DROPBOX Link Below!
11. SHARE the Graphic Image (Picture) with Mr. S for Credit. DO NOT SHARE THE DRAW.IO File FILE! You will only get credit if you SHARE the appropriate file on time.